Saturday, July 16, 2011

Padfoot

Yep. I can't stop thinking about it. I had to stop right as Harry and friends get into the Shrieking Shack and are about to have the whole store explained and Sirius Black enters the picture. And I love Sirius. Maybe because he's a big black dog and I have a soft spot for big black dogs. I picture him as a huge Newfoundland. Adorable.

I had 100 pages of the book left. Almost exactly. And I had to leave it behind in the bookstore. This is a time when I especially want to use my Kindle but the series isn't available as ebooks yet. I think I might re-read The Golden Compass when I'm done with these. Books I read a long time ago that I loved.

It caught me off guard today while I was reading when I realized it's been at least 10 years since I started the Harry Potter books. I think it's been 11 because I remember reading the first one and thinking that I could still get my letter from Hogwarts and you get your letter when you're 11. The point is that even though it's been so long since I read the first three--because I got the first three at the same time--and I still know what's going to happen next, I remember everything. That's how much those stories stuck. How cool.

When I went to Harry Potter Land over spring break I realized it then especially. I don't re-read the books regularly like a lot of people do, so I've only read each of them once. When we got to Harry Potter land, though, I could still name everything I saw and knew what book things were from and why they were there and it was great. By the way, Harry Potter land is both really amazing and very disappointing. Reading the books, all I ever wanted was to be able to go to Diagon Alley and then I got to! And it's so exciting but nothing is real and it's so depressing. Especially because some of the shops you'd want to go into the most are the ones that are "closed." And every candy item in the candy store is $10. Every single item. Makes it hard to stuff your pockets with treats like they do in the book.

I'm going to try to read something else tonight because now I have that super reading bug that hits every once in awhile, where you just cannot stop reading. You set the book down, and you just stare at wondering why you aren't reading. You do something else and you just think about how you could be reading. Does that happen to anyone else? All you can think about is reading. If that bookstore wasn't closing in 24 minutes I would go back right now and read some more. But I have my own books to get through so I'll work on those tonight.

Books are the best.

No new news about the apartment search. Still sending out emails and making phone calls. Soon, soon, soon.

4 comments:

  1. After seeing Tom's recommendation to you that if you hadn't read Rilke's "Letters to a Young Poet" yet to do so, I picked it up and am loving it. I'm about halfway through the ten letters. Thus, I'll make the same recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with you: "Books are the best." Well put.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read Rilke but every copy I find is sort of expensive, maybe I'll do a mooch read in the bookstore tomorrow. I read the first one in a bookstore a week or so ago and couldn't believe how strangely perfect it was to hear at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spent almost all of yesterday totally lost in a book called Lady of Hay. Downloaded about a zillion more free titles to my Kindle tonight to continue the trend!

    ReplyDelete