Monday, June 6, 2011

Job Searchin'

I'm in Knoxville and trying to figure out what to do next. I can't tell if I like it here, but I don't know what the sign would be. I had looked up apartments before I came here and picked one complex that looked like it would suit me particularly well. It turns out it's 1.3 miles from the only Barnes & Noble in Knoxville. That could be the sign I need. There's a job in Alcoa--approximately 23 minutes from this B&N--that's working at a no kill shelter. But I have to call them and I hate calling people.

I want to go driving around and look at different neighborhoods and see if I like any places more than any others but I'm so sick of being in my car that I really don't want to.

I can't decide what to do. I don't know how long I should give it before I like it or don't. I don't really know where to stay while I make that decision because I'm at the point where I can't afford to pay to stay anywhere anymore. It's such a drain on money and it makes me so uncomfortable every time I pay for a room.

And then I think about getting an apartment and how absurd it's going to be to be in an apartment with no furniture.

This was really a pretty silly idea. Which I'm more and more aware of. But I knew that when I chose to do it. I knew I wanted to go somewhere new to see what it was like. I knew I wanted some kind of a challenge. But now I'm tired and I want a bed. I didn't sleep much last night and even with coffee right now I feel like I could just sleep for a few hours. I'm thinking about finding a park and napping in the grass.

WELL! What an odd change of events!

While typing this up, I got a phone call from a vet clinic in the area. I sent in my resume not a half hour before and then my phone started ringing with an area code that I recognized as being from the area. I answered the phone and the woman said she had looked over my resume and was impressed and would like to talk to me about the job. So I have an interview for tomorrow morning!

Now! I don't want a job. I want an income, but I don't want a job. I want everything out of my car and I don't want to worry about depleting my savings but I don't want to be settled yet. I know, I know, this doesn't really seem to mesh with what I just said about wanting a bed and being exhausted. But the truth is, I'm having fun during the day, I'm just tired every night and hate having to find a place to stay.

I'd somehow planned on being homeless and jobless longer than this. Now I have so many mixed feelings! But I can always move later. And try to get a start date in 2 weeks. Options! Suddenly I feel weirdly better about life. I've been applying for jobs for 6 months and then one resume gets a response 30 minutes later. Crazy. I might buy a book to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment