Saturday, April 23, 2011

Moving On

So, crappy day. First thing I do in the morning is check the weather and my email. I roll over, open my laptop, and check. Friday morning I got my email from the Audubon Aquarium saying the internship was offered to another applicant with better credentials. Better credentials? It's an internship meant for college students, how much better could the credentials be?

I was sad, I cried. You get rejected and rejected from jobs and try to take it in stride, but when you hit your 12th or so rejection, and it's from an internship, things just feel too hard. I was begging for an internship I couldn't afford to do, anyway. It was 40 hours a week, unpaid, so I would've had to have gotten a part time job just to try to keep my savings account from plummeting instantly. And I cried because I didn't get a 70 hour work week that wouldn't even let me break even. How ridiculous.

I moped through the day because everyone has the right to wallow in self pity every once in awhile, but really by the end of the day I was over it. There are more jobs opening up all over the place. Yeah, I'll probably get rejected for most of them, but all I need is one. I'm still not really in the mood to start writing 4 cover letters a day again, but I'm going to pick it up again. Only 5 more weeks until graduation, so I've got to start pushing.

My newest plan for post-graduation is to pack everything in my car and just drive. Drive, drive, drive. Maybe get a tent and do some camping, and when I find a city or town that I think I like, I'll start to look for an apartment and a job. It's really a terrible plan, but I don't know what else to do. I'm strangely comfortable with the idea of being completely rootless until the time when I have to become more stationary. I'll have my books and my blankets with me so I'll be cozy.

I'm also thinking about registering to attend the AZA conference that's in Atlanta this September. I don't know where I'll be in 5 months, but I will probably be able to take a day off work to have a long weekend networking with people in the industry. And if I don't have a job by then it will probably be a nice pick-me-up, something to look forward to. Haven't decided yet, but I have about a month before registration fees go up.

Tomorrow is Easter! I'm making my first ever holiday dinner and I'm pretty excited. Hopefully it goes well. Tonight I made I quiche in my beloved cast iron skillet and cut it into slices and wrapped them each in foil. An easy breakfast for the next week which will be very nice.

Now I'm going to do some reading on James Polk before bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment